Compensation: Dependent upon Experience.
Position Type: This is a full-time position (40 hours).
Location: On-site in Corrales, New Mexico.
We seek an experienced Interactive Designer to help with our creative exhibit development projects and internal initiatives. Ideum is diverse; we work with top museums, well-known brands, and technology companies. Along with custom software development, we design and sell our own innovative multitouch tables. We also construct custom exhibits which utilize emerging technology including tangible interfaces, motion recognition, RFID, sensors, and other advances in computer technology.
Ideum does a wide variety of work and the Interactive Designer would work closely with our producers, other designers, software developers and engineers to help shape unique visitor experiences and support our innovative products. We are looking for someone who owns their designs, but can also communicate with others and be responsive to suggestions and changes from colleagues, clients and usability testers. Strong design skills, attention to detail, and a passion for the work are key. Our projects range from exhibit and software development particularly for our multitouch tables and touch walls, unique HCI exhibits, product marketing, web development, media production, and much more.
We are looking for a self-starter with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can work with our diverse staff of content specialists, designers, programmers, and engineers. Hands-on, self-motivated individuals thrive at Ideum. The Interactive Designer will own, protect, and manage the user experience throughout product and project life cycles. The ideal candidate will have a passion for design, history, science, art, culture, and new technology. We are looking for someone with a minimum of three years of relevant design experience and an outstanding portfolio.
In addition, the candidate needs to be technically savvy. A strong understanding of file types and preparation, file management, and optimization are needed. The ideal candidate will understand how to approach different design tasks for a diverse set of mediums including large screens, VR headsets, web, mobile, and print applications.
Ideum develops custom computer-based exhibits for museums, nonprofit organizations, and socially responsible companies. The firm has worked on custom software and hardware projects with some of the world’s top museums such as: Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, The Field Museum, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago), Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, SFMOMA, and more. In addition, Ideum has worked with Fortune 500 companies and iconic brands such as: Apple, Adobe, Coca-Cola, Boeing, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Starbucks, Union Pacific, and others. We are an internationally recognized interactive design firm located in Corrales, New Mexico (near Albuquerque, an hour from Santa Fe).
Benefits and Incentives
This position includes health benefits (after 90 days), Dental insurance, plus long-term and short-term disability and life insurance. Also included is a company-matched 401K Safe Harbor Profit Sharing Plan (available after one year of employment). Pay is based upon experience.
How to Apply
Please respond via email (see below) and include examples of your work (URLS – if available) along with a cover letter—and your resume.
NOTE: Candidates who do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
- What drew you to this position?
- Explain what collaboration means to you and how it is part of your process.
- What qualities and life-experiences would you bring to the position?
- How would you describe your design style?
- Share your approach to learning new technology and new design paradigms.
- Why do you want to work with Ideum?
- Describe your ideal working environment.
PLEASE: NO PHONE CALLS or DROP INS.
- Demonstrated UX/UI design experience and ability (portfolio)
- Ability to prototype designs in lo-fidelity and hi-fidelity as required
- Demonstrated visual design skills including layout, color, typography
- Fluency with interactive design principles and processes (interactive examples a plus)
- Some project management and/or client interaction experience
- Some experience with user testing
- Experience with Web, mobile, and kiosk design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Photoshop and Illustrator skills
- Technologically savvy
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience with museum exhibits and installations
- Programming skills
- Experience with 3D design programs
- A strong interest in science, art, history, and social issues
- Experience in the museum or non-profit world
- College degree, not a requirement
- Electronics experience
- Experience with marketing or advertising
- Knowledge of history, art, or sciences